Fired Up!

Morgan Robertson, Kylee Sutherland, and Kayleigh Randall sit in the bleachers during a football game.

Isabella Brown, Staff

Morgan Robertson (11) has been a member of the Bloomingdale cheer program since her freshman year, but has played the sport since she was six. “I started cheer when I was little because I found it to be fun sport.” Robertson said.

According to Robertson, a cheerleader is someone who “has spirit, is loud, super tight, smiles, and has good facial expressions.”

Robertson’s high school cheer career has recently come to a stop. “I tore my ACL and meniscus at Skyzone and had to get knee surgery,” Robertson said, “At first, I was in denial, but as I continued to go to cheer practices, the girls were more inclusive and made me feel like I was still a part of the team.”

Robertson now visits a physical therapist every week to “build up [her] endurance and get back to being athletic again,” Robertson said. It is about a six-month process, but she is always ready for cheer and making her team the best that it can be.

Robertson is hopeful because “[she] will slowly get like approved to do certain things. At her 4-month mark [she’ll] be able to start like jogging, but won’t be fully approved for cheer until [her] 9-month or 12-month mark,” she said.

Despite her injury, Robertson still helps her team by being the team manager. “I just sit in the stands with my cheer coach, but it gives me a unique perspective on what the cheerleaders look like. I’m able to give constructive criticism to some of the cheerleaders, like if they are not tight enough or if they are not smiling, my coach and I will discuss it, so we can work on it and improve before the next game.”

Robertson said “[she] did enjoy this football season because of the different perspective,” but is ready to get back to being in front of the crowd.

Looking toward the future, Robertson is undecided if she will continue cheering after high school. “It really depends on how well I’m able to balance college with a sport,” Robertson said.

About the Writer