¡BIENVENIDO A MIAMI!

Back to Article
Back to Article

¡BIENVENIDO A MIAMI!

Sagan Savage, Staff

This week the students at Bloomingdale High School learned of their Homecoming theme! The Student Government Association (SGA) announced Monday morning that “Welcome to Miami” would be this year’s theme. Homecoming will be at the Regent on October 6th. Students around the school are both excited and disappointed with the student government’s choice. “I think it’s very unusual, yet creative. I was not expecting my first homecoming to be like this,” says Edwin Cruz (9). Julian McCray (12) says that “I like the aesthetic of it.”

“I think the theme is not creative and kinda pointless because we already live in Florida, and it’s just an excuse to play bad Cuban music.” – Aaron Archuleta

Some students are confused on how the SGA plans on incorporating the theme. They are already expecting poorly themed music and decorations based off of the previous year’s Chinatown monstrosity.  “I feel like the only thing they can do is what they did last year, except instead of stringing a dragon across the cafeteria, they’re just going to make it look like Little Havana.” Says Nicholas Berkowitz (12)

I think this year’s theme is rather irrelevant. The way I see dances themes is a way to transport you to an unknown land for a night and living in Florida, we already have connections with Miami. Welcome to Miami has a very causal feel to it, and it’s more of a party theme than a formal dance. If they’re going to change locations to a more elegant venue then they should have an equivalently elegant theme.