Sports recap Week of September 17th

Bloomingdale+Football+team+charging+the+field+on+the+24th.+Photo+by+Olivia+Stakey.+
Bloomingdale Football team charging the field on the 24th. Photo by Olivia Stakey.

Isabella Brown, Staff

This week in sports:

The JV and varsity volleyball teams played to win at Durant Monday night. JV beat Durant 2-1. They lost the first set 25-17, but won the second and third sets 25-20 and 15-8. Their record is now 3-7. Olivia Penty(9) was named Bloomingdale JV Volleyball Player of the Match.Varsity volleyball won over Durant on Monday 3-0. They won the first set 25-13, won the second set 25-22, and won the third set 25-12. Their record is now 4-7.Both teams played again on Thursday at Strawberry Crest. JV lost to Strawberry Crest 2-0. Bloomingdale lost the first and second sets 25-20 and 25-23. Varsity lost to Strawberry Crest 3-1. Bloomingdale lost the first set 25-23, lost the second set 25-13, won the third set 25-21, and lost the fourth set 25-17. Alex Figueroa(10) was named the Bloomingdale JV Volleyball Player of the Match.

The swim meet vs Plant @Bobby Hicks Pool on Thursday was cancelled.

The JV football game against Strawberry Crest @home on Thursday was also cancelled.

Varsity football traveled to Lennard on Friday night. Bloomingdale beat Lennard 54-0. Their record is now 4-0. The Bloomingdale defense has not allowed any points all season.

Cross country had a meet at North Port high school on Saturday. The varsity girls placed first overall with an average time of 23:14. Five Bloomingdale varsity girls finished in the top 15 and received medals: Kelly McGinnis(10), Marissa Hagenbarth(11), Abby Brown(11), Tamya Ticconi(11), and Grace Schilling(11). The varsity boys placed 6th overall with an average time of 19:00. Two Bloomingdale varsity boys finished in the top 15 and received medals: Jon Owen(12) and Connor Ludden(12). JV girls placed 13th overall with an average time of 30:57 and JV boys placed 16th overall with an average time of 24:34.

The swim team had a rematch on Saturday against Spoto. This was the second swim meet of the season. The combined scores were 267-78 with Bloomingdale taking the win. The record is now 1-1.

About the Writer