Victory Despite Heat Wave

Bloomingdale Wins Pre-Season game versus Riverview

Alex Bordin, Newspaper Editor

This Friday, August 17, the Bloomingdale Bulls Varsity Football team went head-to-head with Riverview High School in a pre-season match. The Bulls displayed both excellent offense and defense on Friday, and were ultimately victorious against the Sharks. Temperatures stayed in the 80’s and 90’s all throughout the evening, making it far tougher on the players.

The Bulls struck early with touchdown number one only two minutes into the first quarter. After this, at the Riverview 25 yard line, our team finds itself in a deadlock with the opposing offense. Despite several attempts for another touchdown, the score stays the same. The Bulls slowly lose ground to the Sharks, but with four minutes and 43 seconds to go in the first quarter, Bloomingdale gets the ball. As the team tries to move it away from their end of the field, they find Riverview’s defense to be equal to their own.

While advancing towards the opposing goalpost, B-Dale’s number 10- Charles Montgomery- gets hit hard by a Riverview player. The tackle looked like a semi truck getting headbutted by a brick wall, but after a few moments on the ground he got up and walked to the sidelines for a break. Meanwhile, the devastating heat beats down on fans and players alike even as the sun goes down.

With 50 seconds left in the first quarter, Bloomingdale Senior Jalen Jackson scores again. As the clock winds down, everyone thinks that the quarter is over. But out of nowhere, with a mere 4.7 seconds left, Riverview makes a miraculous 75 yard touchdown pass. The Bloomingdale fans are in shock, but the team is still ahead with the score at 14-7 as quarter two begins.

The second quarter proves to be even more exciting than the first, as Montgomery scores an almost immediate touchdown- perhaps as revenge for the brutal headbutt to the chest he received earlier. Kicker Jacob McDonald earns one of many extra points that night; bringing the score to 21-7 with 10 minutes left to go until halftime.

The Bulls’ offense charges its way to the opposing 10 yard line. They try for a touchdown there, but to no avail. They then go for it again at the 5 yard line, but the Riverview defense refuses to let them pass. Third time’s the charm? You bet. The Bulls finally break through and make the elusive touchdown. As the second quarter winds down and the Sharks continuously prevent more scoring, Bloomingdale Senior Charlie Skinner comes out of nowhere and slips through Shark-infested territory for more points.

Riverview is now in ownership of the ball, and tries for the Bull’s endzone. But they break on the defense like water on rock, and can barely maintain glacial speed moving down the field. The confident Bulls just have to keep their opponents away until halftime, but despite a deadlock at midfield, the Sharks sneak in a 46-yard touchdown. The extra kick is good, and the halftime score reads 35-14. By this time, the heat within the stadium is so bad that the snack bar has run out of water. Many audience members leave- not because they don’t support the team, but because they need air conditioning.

The third quarter drags on with neither team scoring. Even this long after sunset, the temperature refuses to drop; putting a heavy toll on the players. Water breaks are called with increasing frequency. When Bloomingdale’s Landon Moody gets knocked down (only temporarily- there were no major injuries) the first thing called for is to get him some water. The teams struggle back and forth across the field. At one point, the Bulls find themselves defending at their own 12 yard line, but push back with ease.

Finally, with five-and-a-half minutes left in the third quarter, Number six- Senior Levi Williams- scores a 44-yard touchdown to end the lull. Another one soon follows, and Bloomingdale has a comfortable margin with the score at 49-14. Riverview would need a miracle, but it has happened before.

The Fourth Quarter Begins. Much of it goes by without another goal. After six minutes, Bloomingdale is at Riverview’s seven yard line. Another down, and they are practically in the end zone. Considering the slow pacing of the third quarter and much of this one, this feels to everyone like the last touchdown of the game. But two minutes go by, and it refuses to happen! Riverview’s defense is thwarting every attempt. They beat the winning team back to the 12 yard line and another valiant run is made. Still no goal. But at last, Freshman Ollie Manhertz makes it to the end zone. McDonald comes out for yet another kick; every one he has attempted thus far has succeeded, and this is no exception.

There are still two minutes and 30 seconds left, but it is just a formality. No more touchdowns are made, and Bloomingdale wins with a dominating score of 56-14. Still, we must give Riverview’s team credit: they refused to go down without a fight.

Next week’s game is the first of the regular season, and it is against our bitterest rival: Newsome. It will be an away game at their stadium, on August 24th, 7:30 PM.

About the Writer
Alex Bordin, Newspaper Editor

Hi! I'm Alex Bordin; staff member and writer for the Minotaur blog. I am a Junior and this is my first year on staff. Go bulls!