Relay for a Cure

Isabella Brown, Staff

Relay for Life took place this year on April 26th. It is an annual event held by the American Cancer Association in order to raise funds for cancer research. It also honors those who have survived cancer, those who live with cancer, and their caretakers. Groups in our community and clubs from the school made teams to volunteer selling food and drinks to raise money for the cause.

Students with the National Honors Society team sold bags of olive oil popcorn. “I don’t think we sold that many bags, but it was still a great experience. It felt really good to be a part of such a good cause,” Emma Roberts (10) said.

After a few hours of walking and fundraising, the crowd gathered for the Luminaria ceremony and slideshow. All of the lights in the stadium were turned off and everyone was silent to remember and honor those who have lost their battle with cancer. “It’s definitely the most sad part of the night because when you see someone you knew or someone your friends knew, it can get really emotional,” Jonathon Lovett (11) said.

Individuals who raised at least $100 in donations could spend the night at the event and try to stay up all night from 6pm to 6 am. Madison Gergely (11) was a member of the Junior Steering team and stayed the entire 12 hours. “I felt really accomplished to have made it through the night and I encourage other students to do the same at some point because you are making a difference,” Gergely said.