Bloomingdale Idol

Sagan Savage, Staff

Put on by the Bloomingdale Music Department’s Ambassadors, Bloomingdale Idol is a singing competition held every year. Contestants audition before a panel of students from the ambassadors in order to obtain a spot for the preliminary competitions. This year’s chosen competitors were:
-Victor Sperling
-Alexa Figh
-Candida Martinez
-Faith Lewis
-Kaitlyn Cates
-Lauren Bell
-Samuel Hernandez
-Thalia Diaz
-Marizha Wilson
-Riley Simmons
-Kylee Sutherland-Maxwell
-Jordan Angel
-Jacob McDonald
-Gabrielle Ray
-Alanna Flowers
-Kristine Camejo
-Morgan Moody
-Kaitlyn Whitt
-Joseph Soto

After each wonderful performance, the judge’s panel, which consisted of Mrs. Andrea Peacock, Mr. Thomas Desmond, and Mr. Joey Canessa, gave their constructive criticism; pointing out things they loved and little tips to help them out. After the performers were finished, the crowd and judges went to make their decisions. The audience voted with their ticket and could put extra dollars in their favored singer’s jar. Of the initial 19 contestants, only 9 continued onto the semi-finals that took place the next week. Half of the semi-finalists were chosen as fan favorites and the others were picked by the judges.

The votes had been cast and the contestants took the stage. The competitors who would move on were:

-Kylee Sutherland-Maxwell
-Thalia Diaz
-Marzha Wilson
-Candida Martinez
-Gabrielle Ray
-Kaitlynn Whitt
-Jacob McDonald
-Alexa Figh
-Joseph Soto

Competitors were given a week to prepare two more songs for the semi-final and potential final round and their hard work paid off. Starting off the night, Kylee Sutherland-Maxwell sang along with a live piano. The judges loved her cover of Pretty Funny from the movie Dogfight. Later, Jacob McDonald serenaded the crowd with his choice song Rude, by Magic! And as a grand finale, Joseph Soto beat the eardrums of many with his performance of The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

The votes were placed and once again the contestant took the stage. Called first to take part in the final round was Kaitlynn Whitt, followed by Kylie Sutherland-Maxwell, Thalia Diaz, and Gabrielle Ray.

For her final song Sutherland-Maxwell sang the hit song Burn from the musical, Hamilton. The judges loved her stage presents and how she completely enveloped the character. Next up was Thalia Diaz, who sang Remedy by Adele. The crowd largely responded to her powerful voice and the judges made sure to comment on this as well. Third was Kaitlynn Whitt, singing Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift. Whitt was complemented on her song choice, it being said that it was a perfect match for her voice. As the final act, Gabrielle Ray sang a beautiful rendition of Se Tu M’ami, a French opera. Ray wowed the judges with her beautiful voice and song choice.

As the judges went to make their final decision, Natalie Ramos, last year’s Bloomingdale Idol winner, sung Lost Without You by Treya. After her performance, it was time to see who the winner was. Coming in at 4th place was Kaitlynn Whitt, 3rd was awarded to Kylie Sutherland-Maxwell, 2nd going to Thalia Diaz and the Bloomingdale Idol trophy and 1st place title going to Gabrielle Ray.

Congratulations to all contestants for their wonderful performances.